Monday, November 2, 2009

I'm pretty sure this is why Kevin, in Home Alone decided to live alone.

One of the things that The (now) Ex used to tell me was my “problem” was that everything had to be “the same” – meaning if I moved or we moved, that I would tend to place my belongings in much the same place that they had been in my previous residence. I’m not going to deny this is very much the truth, however, I’m not sure that I necessarily see a “problem” with this.

For instance, I had bought this lamp at one point, specifically for my desk, so that I could see when I was working on my computer at home. This lamp was, therefore, my, all together now: desk lamp. Meaning that, when I moved, I tended to put this lamp – where? That’s right, on my desk. Weird, right? I know – clearly this makes me certifiable.

Guess what? It’s coming time to move once again (I know, I know…when will it END??) and you know something? I probably WILL put things in much the same places they had been before. Why? So I can find them. Again – weird…right?

Yeah, I know this makes me, again, practically certifiable, but I like to stay sane by putting things where I can find them. So, if, then, for the rest of my life, I want to put my desk lamp on my desk, that’s what I’m going to do. If that makes me crazy, fine. If that bothers YOU…then don’t come over.

Don’t get me wrong – I LOVE redecorating. LOVE IT. If I had the money, my house would look totally kick-ass. It would also be floor to ceiling Ikea (what's great is that you can literally do that to - Ikea? Sells FLOORING!) Still, some of the basics are pretty much going to end up in the same place essentially no matter how many times you move or redecorate. It can’t be helped. End tables go by the couch, the couch goes in the living room, the TV stand goes under the TV, your home office supplies will go by your desk and your desk lamp? Will go on your desk. That’s how it works. At least in my insane world where the sky is blue and the grass is green and that’s just how it works.

No comments:

Post a Comment