Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Okay okay...NOW I get it!

I love going to open houses. When I was younger my mom used to drag me to a million of them every Sunday. Allegedly we were thinking of moving, but I’m not sure that that was the entire motivation. Really, open houses are just an excuse to be nosey and poke around other people’s houses. One thing I never understood was why there was always this emphasis on having a super luxurious bathroom and a master bedroom the size of a football stadium. I mean, of course it’s nice to have a large bathroom, and who wouldn’t want nice travertine tiled shower rather than a fiberglass enclosure? Yet I just didn’t get it. It all just seemed like stuff that, while aesthetically pleasing, what more were all these perks doing?

Yet bathrooms with whirlpool tubs the size of small wading pools seemed to make more sense than ginormous master bedrooms. Like who needs an entire separate sitting area? Or what’s with the fireplace? Who’s spending all this time in the bedroom? So much so that it’s more like a studio apartment than it is simply a bedroom. I simply: Did. Not. Get. It.

Then – about a month ago I suddenly got it. The light bulb went off and it was bright. Basically I went from about six years of living alone to being constantly surrounded by people. Constantly. Essentially the only time I’d be alone is when I was in the bathroom getting ready for bed or getting ready in the morning or in the bedroom folding clothes or getting dressed. I’d be standing in which ever room and suddenly realize it was quiet and I was alone. It was NICE. Usually it meant it was the only time during the day that I wasn’t having to talk to, entertain, smile at, yell at, or be talked to, entertained, smiled at or yelled at.

Don’t get me wrong – I’m getting more used to being in constant contact with people, especially since at el banco I now have my own office so that’s become like a little get away too. Sometimes though, you like hearing your own thoughts and just decompressing. Alone.

So that’s it – I just wanted to say that I get it. I get spending tens of thousands of dollars on remodeling what was once a closet of a bathroom or a boring, 4-walled master bedroom. Even though your inner voice can be annoying – it’s nice to be able to at least hear it once in a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment